Friday, September 3, 2010

Creating something lovely out of a mistake

Painters do it all of the time- they take a canvas horribly gone wrong and paint right over it.  I wonder how many masterpieces have been created over a work that was shmeared by an elbow or painted by a very dear, but untalented aunt.  It is in our very nature to make and destroy- hence, civilizations rise and fall.
Lately I've been revisiting my mistakes.  I hate throwing things away, so the other day when I was tidying up my workspace I found some early stamped postcards that I completely fudged.  Now, some I've used just to write on (as space) and then have thrown in a card for friends.  I can't stand wasting paper- and watercolor postcard paper is very nice.  That's when I realized that there was a better way to re-use this canvas- collage!
I've always appreciated the art of collage.  I'm not much of a drawer per se, but I love thinking about different media come together.  Right now I'm enjoying bringing together stamping, recycled magazines, and watercolor.  So, I've given the postcards I completely ruined new life.  It's also been a great way to use up all of my scrap paper in creative ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment