Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vegan Mofo Recipe: Very Veggie Bloody Mary

Even though Bloody Marys are technically categorized beverages and this is vegan month of food, my husband and I pack ours with enough veggies that this could be considered a mid-afternoon snack.  I also thought this recipe was worthy, as my bloody mary does not contain worcestershire sauce.  Most worcestershire sauces contain anchovies and my recipe is 100% vegan.
The pickled okra is something I picked up while visiting New Orleans.  New Orleans wasn't exactly a vegetarian paradise, but I did enjoy the fried pickles and pickled okra.
Very Veggie Bloody Mary
serves 2

2 cloves pickled garlic
2 martini olives
2 jalapeno stuffed olives
2 garlic stuffed olives
2 cups vegetable juice
3 ounces vodka (optional)
1 1/2 T horseradish
3 tsp. hot sauce (I prefer Tapatio)
2 celery stalks, ends trimmed
2 dilly beans
1 long carrot, peeled and sliced horizontally
2 pickled okra
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
pinch of salt
ice cubes

Pour vegetable juice and vodka (optional) into a medium sized pitcher.  Add horseradish, hot sauce, soy sauce, salt, and pepper and stir well.  Add 1 each of celery, carrot, dilly bean, garlic, okra and each of the olives to a large mason jar or pint class.  I like 3 ice cubes in mine, but my husband prefers two, so add however many you wish.  Finally, pour bloody mixture into the glasses equally, stir with celery stalk, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment